9/20/11

It's all in your head

Long distance running isn't just about being in good physical shape. You have to be in good mental shape too. I had been having a rough couple of weeks of running, when I finally realized I didn't have my head in the game. I was too focused on details of the "right now" – my ankles hurt, I was tired, I could be using this time to knit or sew or just sit on the couch. But then I changed my attitude. Before my long run on Sunday, I decided I needed to focus on the goal. I needed to think about that awesome feeling of crossing the finish line. It was a 12 mile run. It was raining. I hadn't slept well. But I got out there and despite the rain and the tiredness, I felt great. I finished those 12 miles in 1:50. (9 minute miles, a little faster than my usual pace.) Amazing how a change in attitude can make all the difference in the world.

I ran twice around this 6 mile loop in the beautiful Arboretum. It also helps that Madison has such a great places to run!

3 comments:

Barb Bredel said...

WELL...I'm impressed! I always knew you could do anything you put your mind to. Here's proof!

Uptowners said...

hi! i've been following your blog via a good neighbor friend of mine. I felt I just HAD to comment, because each time i read a post, i say to myself, "we have so much in common!" knitting, sewing, gardening, canning, photography... i see that you are now a runner...maybe we'll cross paths one of these days on our long runs! Good luck to you with your upcoming race!

kim upton

Grandpa Billmeyer said...

You are an inspiration.